West Midlands AHSN was commissioned by the Birmingham and Solihull Mental Health System Strategy Board to develop a prevention strategy for mental illness. The result, in April 2017 was "Getting it right, first time - Prevention of Mental Illness".
This report reviewed what's happening, locally, regionally, nationally and internationally to help young people maintain good mental health. It analysed the evidence about what does and doesn't work, and came up with a series of recommendations:
- Focus on early years
- Work with education and schools
- Make better use of digital tools and data
- Establish a genuinely collaborative partnership involving all the main players
- Set up a Prevention Board to oversee the work
- Find and support "prevention champions"
- Set up "Demonstrator Sites" to test and prove what works